So we are finishing up on Kindergarten and it’s been a very full year! Below you will find mini reviews about the resources that we used this year. What would I have done differently?
- Not over plan. I went crazy thinking that I would not have enough materials to cover the whole year, but my worry-wort tendencies just caused me to become overwhelmed thinking about what we had to complete. I am so over that now!
- Check things sooner rather than later if they are not working. The thought of spending money on something that I don’t use makes me sad so I pushed The Tornado through HWT and a few other things despite the fact that they were not working for us. Not this year!
- Do more field trips! We went places put not as many as I wanted us to. I want to do more GEOCACHING and hiking.
- Add a music program.
- Notebooking instead of Lapbooking.
- Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (TYC) –
Got halfway through and she was already reading well enough to toss it, plus, she was not enjoying it!
- Explode the Code (ETC) –COMPLETED ETC A-C. She really enjoyed this but I am not sure if she learned anything with. I probably should have skipped books A-C and went with the higher levels. We will not be using this series in First Grade.
- NEW: All About Spelling Level 1- ALMOST COMPLETED. We love this. I joke that my daughter started spelling before she was reading without this but with this she has become a true speller. We will use in First Grade.
- Progressive Phonics: SET ASIDE. This is a great FREE resource but we just never had time for it.
Supplements used on occasion:
- Various Early Reader Books
- Jumpstart.com - Subscription based service that provides a plethora of learning games.
Calvert: We have the Calvert Curriculum for Pre-K but it has a lot of good material for literature. We will use this as our primary curriculum.SOLD THIS
- LibriVox: Free Audiobooks (recordings of books in the Public Domain). We’ve listened to a lot of audiobooks this year. I like that these are free but really do not like the chapter intros. We’ve been checking audiobooks out of the library.
- Various Read-alouds
- HWT K – “Letters and Numbers For Me”: ALMOST COMPLETE: She really, really, really does not like this!
Supplements used on occasion (List remains the same)
- NEW: Mathematics Enhancement Programme (Year: Reception) – ALMOST COMPLETED: We LOVE this. We are finishing up. Double up on lessons if you can. They are quick and fun!
Math Reading Books (List remains the same)
- NEW: Virtual Earth Scouts: LOVE THIS. On hold for two months because we just got really busy!
Supplements used on occasion
- Science Arts: Discovering Science Through Art Experiences (Bright Ideas for Learning), by MaryAnn F. Kohl. $12.89 great lesson ideas that teach art and science at the same time.
- Activities for Kids free web site that provides Kindergarten Science Activities
- Educational Toy Factory another free web site that offers Kindergarten Science Projects.
- Lollipop Logic: Critical Thinking Activities, 1x a week. $10.36. COMPLETED She loved this! Looking for suppliment.
- Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History: I really dropped the ball with this! Seriously dropped the ball!
- Nature Walks and Scavenger Hunts
- Swimming (Seasonal)
- Sports Skills and Gymnastics @ The Little Gym
- Bike Riding
- Zumba and other dance classes
- Wii Active Life Outdoor Challenge
- Wii Dance Dance Revolution
- Wii EA Active and More EA Active
- Wii Michael Jackson: the Experience