Pre-History is the study of the world before there was written language/documentation. By its most basic definition, it is secular – although I have seen some religious bloggers use religion to teach PreHistory. However, because we teach from an evolutionary point of view, it was important that not only do we focus on Pre-History for a full year, but that we combine it with much of what is the foundation for study history: questioning, exploring, sorting through fact vs fiction, and understanding scientific reasoning.
When we decided to homeschool with a full curriculum, The Tornado was 4. She would be entering Kindergarten, and I was desperate for a curriculum that would take us through Pre-History without any religious interference. It was virtually impossible to find one. Seriously, it was virtually impossible. But then I found a Pre-History curriculum from someone named “Raising Scientist” at Lulu.com. It, unfortunately has since been removed. Truth be told, I thought it was lacking in a lot of areas, but it did provide a basis for what I would ultimately plan for my daughter. Below is how we taught Pre-History and the activities that we did to help further understanding.
This post uses affiliate links. Only items I have used personally are linked here.
What You Need
(B) = Book (A) = Activity (M) = Movie (NM) = Netflix Movie (APS) = Amazon Prime Streaming
- The Usborne Encyclopedia of World History (B)
- List of areas to study
- Giant Evolution Timeline: Poster (A)
- World Prehistoric Illustrated (A)
- Discovering Prehistory (How it Works) (B)
- Evolution Revolution from Darwin to DNA (B)
- When Fish Got Feet, Sharks Got Teeth, and Bugs Began to Swarm: A Cartoon Prehistory of Life Long Before Dinosaurs (B)
- I Dig Bugs: Amber Fossil Excavation (A)
- From Lava to Life: The Universe Tells Our Earth’s Story: Book 2 (The Universe Series) (B)
- First Dinosaur Encyclopedia (B)
- Our Family Tree: An Evolution Story (B)
- Walking with Dinosaurs (M) (NM) (APS)
- Prehistoric Coloring Books (Chose the ones you want to use)